| Exploring the Exciting World of Young Adult Books
- The term “graphic novel” refers to the format of a manuscript not the genre. Graphic Novels can be non-fiction, biography, or fiction.
- Graphic Novels can serve as bridges to more rigorous texts by introducing readers to new settings or genres in a recognizable format.
- Graphic Novels can help:
- Readers who can’t visualize the words on a page
- Reluctant readers who find books less interesting than other media
- Improve vocabulary by building context through pictures.
- Encourage students to engage in FVR( Free Voluntary Reading) which has been shown to improve language skills
- Build critical media literacy skills
- ESOL students learn English words within context